Soup is one of my favorite dishes to create. You can create so many different flavors, hot or cold, take 10 minutes to make or 10 hours… it’s really up to you!
I wanted to create a light and tasty soup with a bit of kick! Not only a kick of heat, but a kick of nutrition! With the cancer-fighting cruciferous Cauliflower, the Onion providing the powerful anti-oxidant Quecetin, and all the anti-inflammatory, metabolism-boosting spices in Harissa.. you have a health-boosting Trifecta!
This sweet soup is perfectly complimented with the spicy Harissa oil. You can either buy a pre-blended Harissa mixture, or create your own. This delicious spice blend is not as popular in the US (yet!), but in North Africa and the Middle East it is a common condiment on the table for almost every meal! Families likely have their own recipe for the spice blend, variations are common from household to household, but the basic recipe contains hot peppers, garlic, olive oil, and salt. So if one blend doesn’t work for your tastes, try another!
This soup is also a great dish all year around and can be served warm in the winter or chilled in the summer. With the spicy hot Harissa Oil, you can add as little as you would like or as much as you would like for some real heat, it’s up to you! Give it a try!
Cook Time: 1.5 hours for full flavor !
- 1.5 tbsp Olive Oil
- 3/4 cup chopped Onion
- 1 full cup chopped Red Pepper
- 4 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 head Cauliflower, chopped
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp Coriander
- 1/4 tsp Cumin
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 Lemon, juiced
- 4 cups Vegetable Stock
1) Heat medium-sized soup on low, add Olive Oil, Onion, and Red Pepper. Stir occasionally and cook for 20 minutes. (This step can be shortened if you are in a time rush, but for best flavor cook for suggested time.)
2) Add Garlic and cook for another 10 minutes.
3) Turn heat up to low-medium and add Salt, Coriander, Cumin, Black Pepper and mix pot well, cook for additional 3 minutes, until onions and peppers start to brown.
4) Add Lemon juice and scrap up any crust that formed on the bottom of the pot.
5) Add Cauliflower and Stock, stir well.
6) Cover pot and simmer for 1 hour, until Cauliflower is soft.
7) Add soup into blender and puree
8) Top with *Harissa oil, Cilantro and toasted Pumpkin Seeds and Serve!
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Harissa Powder
Warm Olive Oil and Harissa Powder gently in small sauce pan on the stove for 10 minutes.
Strain out spices from Oil through fine cloth, drizzle on soup!